Featured Post

Important note about post dates and the archive

December 6, 2022

Emily eyes diary

As of November 25, 2022


  • Borrowing from artworks I saw on Pixiv

    • Spontaneous drawing

    • Underwater lighting

    • Glowing eyes like literal gemstones

    • Transparent and prism-like

    • Eyes are focal point

  • Focus on technique and aesthetic

    • Meaningless is not a bad thing

    • Message/meaning takes the back seat

  • Art style

    • Exaggerated, non representational colors

    • Maintain art style that balances anime and cartoon

    • She looks so anime here. How can I find balance?

    • Add more cartoony elements

    • Exaggerated eyelashes

    • Nose is main indicator of anime or cartoon style

    • I feel like the nose has to be anime-style for the lighting trick to work. Is there a workaround???

    • I love the huge eyes. I don’t care that they’re “out of style”

  • Details

    • Delicate details on face

    • Thick outer contours like a protective casing with finer linework inside

    • Remember attention to detail in my old artworks

    • Details are casual and sketchy. It doesn’t have to be meticulously precise

    • Remember the Big Picture!

  • Inspirations

    • Cartoony playful artworks for color inspiration

    • Art nouveau for the flower

    • Recent Pixiv art I saved

  • Things to fix or consider

    • Should be obvious she is wearing a hood

    • Fine tune the flower

    • Shadows of leaves on face?


As of November 27, 2022


  • Loving the eyes so far

    • There was some struggle but now I have an idea for the streamlined process

    • The outer ring is blurry and saturated

    • The inner ring is a black outline, creating a contrasting border between the iris and the sclera

    • Next time (not here) I will set the eyes to Multiply so it retains the transparency of a cut gemstone

  • Face

    • Too anime. Needs more cartoon qualities to the art style

    • Reinforce the outlines of the eyes

    • Lips are too red. Make them closer to skin tone but more saturated

    • Make the freckles more obvious. It is one of her charm points

  • Hair

    • The hair should fade to a lighter color in less important areas

    • Add specks of light to her hair

    • Glowing individual strands

  • Hood

    • The hood should have a softer texture

    • It should be more obvious that Emily is wearing a hood

    • Add sharpening contours: two parallel lines consisting of a very dark value, and a very light one- to bring out the desired shapes

    • The hair ornament should have a hint of color that stands out but doesn’t compete for attention

  • Background

    • Background is too light compared to character’s face

    • How will I combine the background painting with the character?

    • Add hints of green and yellow

  • Foliage

    • The flowers should be more defined. They just look like flower-shaped blobs. They’re supposed to be hydrangeas

    • Doesn’t need to be meticulously rendered, but just enough to be recognizable

    • Add stronger saturations in important areas

    • Add extra lighting to the leaves and flowers

    • Add light lines to the leaves (Insp: Wakaba-chan)

  • Viewing the artwork with fresh eyes

    • Grayscale

    • Upside down

    • Backwards

    • From very, very far away

    • Get outside feedback

    • Any combination of these

    • Observe what you notice first

    • What will you remember when you picture this image in the mind?


As of December 1, 2022


  • I had fun at first but now it’s getting overworked

    • Spinning my wheels. I’m mentally spent

    • Forgetting about the big picture

    • Hoping to call it a day next time I work on it

    • What if I traced over the picture and colored it all over again? But I want to be done with this. I’m torn.

  • There is a disconnect in the colors

    • The colors got too washed out

    • The hydrangeas don’t pop

    • Not a fan of the leaves

    • Make lips darker again

  • Too much emphasis on the hood

    • Hood should be less intense luminosity

    • Shift emphasis to frame the face

    • Reduce high contrast of hood and shadow

  • Other stuff

    • Crystal coloring should be fuzzier

    • Remember the hair piece


  • Later that day, I opened the image in Procreate and kept tinkering with the colors until I was happy. I will use it as a guide for the next time I work on Emily. 

  • The lighting is noticeably darker, making for a more dramatic picture. 

  • I want to add a grain and chromatic aberration effect at the end.

  • It would be cool to add a light ray effect.


Declared complete on December 3, 2022


  • Color key

    • Blue = Goals for next time

    • Purple = Things I like

    • Red = Things I regret

  • I generally like how it came out, but there is still room for improvement

    • If there was nothing to change, art would not be very fun. It is all about experimentation.

    • Always looking forward to the next iteration and how I can make things better.

    • Remember to look at the big picture

  • Struggles

    • I struggled to get the atmosphere to my liking, and a result, the image got deep-fried.

    • I like her hair but after the post processing, much of that detail has been lost.

  • Effects

    • Chromatic aberration is overdone in some places, especially the hair

    • I like the subtle noise effect

    • Noise and chromatic aberration can work well when used SPARINGLY

  • Backdrop

    • The background is overworked

    • It looks too busy 

    • Used tricks to get overlapping to work

  • This obsessive attitude is not helpful when I’m in art mode

    • Some exploration is okay but I kept going until I mentally wore myself out

    • Creating and analyzing are different processes and should be kept separate

    • I did for the most part but kept going after I should have stopped. I ended up spinning my wheels

  • Art style

    • Art style is too anime and “realistic” in terms of color and shading.

    • I want it to look more like a cartoon

    • Symbolic representation

    • Get bold with elements of design

    • Gemstone eyes are a good step in that direction

  • Colors and shading

    • Underwater lighting was borrowed from Pixiv

    • Aim for more stylized and non-representational colors

    • Be more limited and deliberate in color choice and shading

  • The drawing itself

    • Wide variation in line weight. like stained glass

    • Thick outer contours case delicate lines within

    • Contributes to the cartoon effect

    • Rely more heavily on shapes and molding features to fit them


No comments:

Post a Comment