Featured Post

Important note about post dates and the archive

July 28, 2023

Elle and Winter

Brought home some old paintings from my parents’ house, and I’m debating what to do with them. One of which is this painting of Winter, one of two kittens I looked after in 2017. It’s a long story, but I brought Elle and Winter home from Seattle after visiting a friend, and eventually had to send them back about a month later. The friend ended up giving away the cats, and we aren’t in touch anymore, so I have no idea where these cats are now. But I miss them, man. I cried the day we sent them back to Seattle.

So, let's address the elephant in the room: this is not a great painting. 

But now the good news: I can see a tremendous difference in how far I’ve come since then. Why not paint over it to create a better, updated version? It would be, quite literally, a fresh coat of paint. I loved these little girlies and want to remember the time I spent with them. I want to display it on the wall, instead of finding it in a dark closet years later. But it has to be worthy of that privilege.

The point of no return!

This is a risky move. Once I start painting over the original picture, it’s lost forever. But if this works out, I would consider going over some other years-old paintings that are not very good. My policy is to not go over finished paintings - if it’s done, it’s done. But these are old-old, and I wouldn’t put them on display. So that’s my metric for deciding. I would love to go over my old Nikki paintings if I knew that I could pull it off.

Here's a digital artwork of Winter that I did about three years ago. 


And lastly, here are some photos of the dollies. I wonder what they look like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment