Featured Post

Important note about post dates and the archive

August 26, 2023

Eighty Squares Ground Zero

Starting a new experimental painting. This one will be similar to my very first paintings when I took an oil painting class for college credit. 


First, I had to cover the entire canvas in a solid color. I'm going with blue instead of my go-to earthy tones and neons.


After covering the canvas in blue, I drew in the square grid. Then, I covered half of the canvas in purple. 

Start with the simplest composition as possible. Establish balance.

Because of the nature of my approach, I can easily change direction if needed. Right now, I am only committing as much as I need to, and the left will be improvised along the way. What if I treated it like a game of Tetris?


The fun part about this painting is that I won't design the whole thing at once. I'm going square by square. That way, I have room to change directions if needed. 


The first batch of squares for now. This is the underpainting. The neon pink and oranges neutralize the blue.

Rules:
  • Create smaller compositions that adhere to the overall setup (the alternating blue and purple squares underneath)
  • Stick to one quadrant at a time (I already failed this... oops)

No comments:

Post a Comment